Making clay coil pots doesn’t sound easy to do, but this method is pretty much a fool proof way of getting a great result.
We used air drying clay for this project. A plastic bowl was lined with cling film, clay was rolled into long sausage/cane shapes making sure they weren’t too thin. The canes were then manipulated into swirly disc shapes of different sizes and placed in the bowl side by side (this is the really creative bit). Once the bowl was completely lined with clay shapes, the inside surface was smoothed over using fingers and a damp sponge, the pattern was still retained on the outside and could be seen through the plastic bowl.
Once the pot was leatherhard, it was removed from the plastic bowl and the cling film taken off so that it could dry completely. Those who wanted to add a base to their pot waited until the pot had firmed up a little so it could be removed from the bowl without it caving in. Bases were made using the coil method, making sure that all clay pieces that had to stick together were scratched and had a coating of slip (clay mixed with a little water) applied. Smoothing the base to the pot helps to reinforce the bond. Any base that breaks away from the pot can always be glued on when both bits are fully dry.
Once the pots were completely dry, a white undercoat (white arcrylic paint or acrylic primer) was applied. After this stage the young artists began painting them. We used acrylic and metalic paints. To finish, gloss acrylic varnish was applied (two coats give a good shiny result).