It’s been a couple of weeks since my last post because this particular art project needed to progress in order for me to show you some finished Sarcophagi.
This is a great art project to run along side History lessons about the Egyptians. There was quite a lot of prep to do before the project started, this is mainly because I teach 5 – 11 year olds, and the younger children would have found it difficult to cut out all of their card pieces accurately.
I drew templates of the shapes I would need to build the sarcophagus (researching Egyptian Sarcophagi to get a good match, calculating the depth of the lid & base sides and making sure that the lid is slightly bigger than the base to ensure a good fit). I then made enough ‘sets’ for each child. I did leave some simple cutting out for the children to do (practice makes perfect).
The children had to assemble the Sarcophagus templates to make a lid and a base. They used sticky tape to adhere the card pieces together (small tabs had been incorporated into the design of the sarcophagus side templates, these were bent and stuck to the base/lid). The Sarcophagus lid & base were then covered in tissue paper (we used gold, silver and bronze). Apply PVA glue to the card, place a piece of tissue paper on it and then paint over it with another thin layer of glue. The insides of the lid & base were also covered.
The Egyptian King/Queen illustration for the lid of the Sarcophagus was drawn by tracing around the lid template. Facial detail, colour and glitter were added to finish, glue was applied to the back of the drawing and placed in position on the lid.
Next week we make the Mummies and the children are very excited about this.