This super Miro project incorporated a game, drawing, collage, construction, modroc, painting and composition. We worked on it over a period of nine 1 hour sessions.
After an introduction and discussion about Miro and his work, we played the ‘Roll A Miro’ game, you can find many print-outs on Pinterest. I used the ones from Once Upon an Art Room and Pinterest. Children roll the dice and the number rolled tallies up with a shape, the students eventually build up their Miro image. I have to say this game went down really well.
Next the students cut coloured card to create a large collage of shapes, this activity is credited to AccessArt. Once the collages were complete, I read a nonsensical poem pitched at different sound levels (that was interesting!). The children had to draw over their collage in response to the words and sounds with a black felt tip pen.
To show the children how the same set of painting directions could lead to many variations, I devised a quick painting session. I read out half a dozen actions, for instance:-
- Paint two yellow circles.
- Paint two red lines from one side of your paper to the other.
- Paint three blue wavey lines touching the red lines etc….
The students loved this activity and the enthusiam for painting did lead to some children painting more shapes/lines than necessary. But hey, we were having a good time!
After a talk on shapes (regular & irregular). It was time to plan the sculptures.
The brief was to create two large shapes from cardboard. One shape from clay (although some children made more as it would be asthetically pleasing to their design idea). Up to six small wooden sticks or two cut lengths 1cm x 1cm wood.
Each child had a white mountboard plinth to arrange their sculpture on.
To make the large sculptural elements, the students cut two pairs of different shaped card. To create depth, two small pieces of bubble wrap were sandwiched between the cardboard and taped in place. The cardboard shape was completedly covered in masking tape, ready for modroc-ing.
The Modroc was cut into small strips, a single piece of Modroc was then dipped in water and carefully placed onto the cardboard shape. To activate the plaster and cover the bandage, the Modroc had to be gently smoothed with a finger.
Once the Modroc had dried and the students had made their small clay sculptures, the painting could begin.
It was great fun getting the students to think about how their final sculpture’s elements should be arranged. Trying different placements to create a pleasing balance. I was very impressed how the students approached this part of the project, all their hard work was coming together and they wanted to get it right. All the elements were glued in position using either PVA or a hot glue gun (which I was in charge of for safety reasons).
Here are the finished sculptures. As a last minute thought, I asked the students to title their sculptures.